Services in Identity Management Systems (IdM)
If we have already an Identity Management infrastructure involves:
Directory or Repository Centralized for Identities.
Corporate Directory is an LDAP server that allows to store user or identity information to the applications in the Organization. Organizations should have 2 directories, one for internal services (windows or intranet login, kerberos authentication, etc..) And other web applications or standalone as Liferay Portal.
Mechanisms of replication, synchronization and consolidation of directories or repositories.
Some organizations usually have several offices around the world, each has a Directory or LDAP server that allows us to provide services to the office to which belongs, while through the LDAP Directory Server or Consolidated Global can offer services such as search people from other offices through a single Address Book. To do this, we need mechanisms to consolidate data from LDAP Server and data from different sources such as DBMS regardless of where and how them are stored, etc..
Identities Lifecycle Management.
This basically is to create, read, update and delete identities or any of its attributes. Some solutions include services such as Rollout, Renewal,Forgotten password, …
Single Authentication Service or Identity Validation.
Authentication is only identity validation, that is, when we make a validation request, the validation authority or authentication service responds by saying that the details of the person or users (data credentials or identity) exist or not in the LDAP server.
In addition to the centralized storage of all identities in the Directory or LDAP Server, you need a validation service that can respond if the credentials are correct to requests for validation made by the standalone application, portal, login windows, etc.. of the organization. Such service must know how to respond to different requests of different types of applications and protocols.Typically different protocols are often defined, as many as types of requests for validation, for example, a protocol could be a “bind ldap”, “soap” or a simple “https” request.
Authorization is the process of decision based on certain attributes by which allows a person, machine or server to access a particular resource.
“Single Sing On” Service.
This service is logs in once and gains access to all systems without being prompted to log in again at each of them. Single sign-off is the reverse property whereby a single action of signing out terminates access to multiple software systems.
Solutions Free/Open Source most used are:
- CAS (Central Authentication Service) – http://www.jasig.org/cas
- OpenSSO (now of Oracle, it has an uncertain future) –http://opensso.dev.java.net
- OpenAM (a branch of OpenSSO) – http://forgerock.com/openam.html
What is the difference between Virtual and Meta Directory?
Virtual Directory is a service that operates between applications and identity data as a real directory. A virtual directory receives queries and directs them to the appropriate data sources.
- Virtual Directory loosely couple identity data and applications.
- Virtual and Meta Directory provide a consolidated view of identity data by adding a layer on native repositories (ldap, rdbms, …).
- Meta Directory draw identity data from native repositories and store it in a new consolidated real directory that faces enterprise applications.
- Meta Directory (tight coupling) is a good in which identity data is not updated frequently.
- Virtual Directory offers a way to provide that consolidated view of identity data without having to reconstruct an entire real directory infrastructure.
“[...]Instead of creating new identity repositories, virtual directory handle identity queries on a case-by-case basis, drawing the required, authorized data (and only the required data) in real time from its native repositories around a network and presenting it to an enterprise application as needed. When the query is complete the virtual directory disappears; once again, the data exists only in its native repositories, under the control of the original owner.”
(Penrose FAQ – http://docs.safehaus.org/display/PENROSE/FAQ)
There are few solutions for Virtual Directory, here are some FOSS and Commercial:
- Penrose – http://penrose.redhat.com/display/PENROSE/Home
- Atlassian Crowd – http://www.atlassian.com/software/crowd/
- Radiant Logic VDS – http://www.radiantlogic.com/main/products_vds.html
List of FOSS products and technologies for IdM